Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Homemade Granola

Weight: 153.2 lbs

I have been lazy as of late! It is mostly because of all the girl's night out drinking I have been doing the last couple of weekends. But I have put an end to that. I am finally back down to my last week's weight. This is the problem I have run into the last 4 weeks actaully. Everything is fine, I lose weight and then one bad night ends up with 3 - 4 days of rehab to get back down. I had a night out (ending a donair...) and today I am back to my weight on Saturday morning. This is no good and I am going NO WHERE with this up and down-ness. I am beyond frusterated but determined so not do it anymore. Even if I go out... I can control myself... right?

I haven't been too up in the bloggy world but I have been cooking my friends. I just made some homemade granola. I make this recipe about twice a month. It is so flavourful and deliciously filling. Mix it in with yogurt, some milk or just snack on it by the handful. It is so yum!

Clean Homemade Granola
Adapted from Clean Eating Diet Cookbook

2 cups wild oats
2 cups puffed wheat
1 cup slivered almonds
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1/4 cup sesame seeds

1/2 tsp. cinnamon

1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp almond extract
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 cup honey

pinch sea salt

1/2 cup raisins, dried cherries, dried blueberries, cranberries
1/2 cup raisins, dried cherries, dried blueberries, cranberries

(I love dried cherries in my granola. They have excellent flavour!)

  1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees. In a large bowl mix all dry ingredients until evenly distrubuted. Set aside. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, place all coating mixture ingredients. Gently warm contents and stir until sugar is dissolved. (This can also be done quickly (20 seconds) in a microwave using a large glass measuring cup.)
  2. Pour liquid mixture over dry ingredients in a mixing bowl. Mix all ingredients until all ingredients are coated.
  3. Spread granola onto a large cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
  4. Bake for 30 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes. Allow granola to cool on baking sheet. Once granola has cooled, about 30 minutes, transfer to an air-tight container. Add dried fruit and stir to mix. **I have added the dried fruit BEFORE baking and not after - this is not advisable, the fruit ends up being pretty tough.
Keeps in cupboard for 2 weeks. You can freeze it too!


Makes about 7 cups.


No comments: